Saturday, November 20, 2010

{30 Days of Thanks~Day 20}

OK---today was the first day of my Thanksgiving break. I was looking forward to sleeping in, then working on the box I'm sending to Hannah for Christmas, doing a little yard work,  and finally going to a wedding of the daughter of a friend. A full day---but no real schedule except the wedding. THAT was before I woke up at 4:30 and couldn't go back to sleep. By 4:50 I was up with a cup of coffee checking my email!

I was amazed at the amount of work I had done by 10:00 AM! Around 11, I went out to blow the leaves in my yard....I finished about 2:30----YES---seriously. Now, anyone who lives in NC knows that this isn't unusual----there are LOTS of leaves on the ground right now, but still---2:30???. OK---now to the story....and the "THANKS" part.

As I was getting close to the end of the leaf blowing adventure, I ran out of electric cord----so, I thought, "well, I'm this close, I'll just rake the rest." I went to the shed (in the picture) to look for my big rake. It wasn't there, so instead of taking the time to look for it elsewhere, I remembered that I had a little rake that Joshua used to use--A REALLY SHORT RAKE---up on the side porch. So, I just finished the yard with that. I had to laugh at how it must have looked to anyone driving by---did they wonder if I had tortured myself and raked the entire yard this way!

As I was cleaning up---putting away my blower and mini rake---I had to laugh again at what I found when I put the rake up. It was my OTHER extension cord....I could have just plugged in the blower and finished in no time. As I stood there laughing at myself, I thought of how I do this with the Lord. When I have something to do, often I just barrel through and do it---never really pausing to "look" for the Lord, to ask his will in my life. I'm a "doer"---I can GET IT DONE!  So, he lets me do it MY way---which is probably MUCH harder than His way. I could patiently wait on him; wait to KNOW what he wants---instead of just assuming that I know best. But often there is no waiting---I'm going to "DO IT".

SOOOO, today, I'm thankful for a lesson learned, for God's amazing grace in my life---that allows me to do things my way and then gently rebukes me. I am reminded of the verse in Romans,
Or do you presume on the riches of his kindness and forbearance and patience, not knowing that God's kindness is meant to lead you to repentance?
                                                                                                  Romans 2:4

YEARS ago---I mean, REALLY long ago---college years, there was a song out with this scripture in it and it has stuck with me all this time. It has come to me in the midst of my sinfulness to remind me not only that the Lord longs for me to repent and loves me through my sin, but ALSO reminds me that I should offer the same kindness to those around me. So, with the holidays coming up many of us have an opportunity to "show kindness"---don't just barrel through things and "do things" so they are DONE---when perhaps it would be best to leave it undone, or do it differently.....I'm so grateful, I don't get what I deserve from this loving and KIND Father of mine.

Don't use the little rake----seek, search, the help is right in front of you---and it may make your life a lot easier!
...and now you know why I called this blog "nelson ramblings"..... thanks for stopping by!

No comments: