Tuesday, November 22, 2011

{Thirty Days of Thanks~Day 22}

I am so thankful today for Connie Burnham. Connie is the friend I've known the longest here in North Carolina. (Don't you love how I avoided using the word "oldest"?) I've searched my computer for a picture of her----I KNOW I have some, but I can't find them. I met Connie when David was on staff at a church in Henderson while he was still a student. Her youngest was Caitlin's age and we became fast friends. She's one of those people that is just easy to talk to---and you KNOW I can do some talkin'!

As the years passed, we left that church when David started teaching at the Seminary and we began going to church in Raleigh. We still got together as families and Connie and I would get together whenever we could. Our friendship truly developed over lunches and the occasional trip to the lake. Before I knew it I was pregnant with Joshua---I had told her my suspicions pretty early---she understood the situation I was in: two older children and one shocking pregnancy!!! Her kids have a similar spread to mine---two older and then 8 years later ANOTHER! I've watched her parent her children and learned from her. She and her husband seek the Lord and I've been able to see His hand on their lives over these last 15 years. As I've begun to work more, we seem to have less and less time together. We did get together this evening for an early dinner. She knows me as well as anyone here---she is very encouraging, but not afraid to offer advice. She's the true friend. She is the friend that you can depend on. I love her laugh---although lately we haven't laughed as much as we used to---I know that will return. As I reflect on my relationship with Connie I am grateful for a long time friend---one you are comfortable with; you don't have to pretend to be something you're not, or feel something you don't, or like something you don't. It's just easy.....I could go on and on about my friendship with her---but let me just say this---

Oh, the comfort, the inexpressible comfort of feeling safe with a person, having neither to weigh thoughts nor measure words, but pouring them all out, just as they are, chaff and grain together, certain that a faithful hand will take and sift them, keep what is worth keeping, and with a breath of kindness blow the rest away.  ~Dinah Craik

This is the friend that Connie is to me----she has blown her fair share away after speaking with me. I am truly grateful for a friend like her. God blessed me immensely when he brought her into my life.

No comments: