Wednesday, August 20, 2008

{Teacher Gift}

Today is the first day for all of my children--Caitlin starts her Sophomore year at NC State (she lives on campus--sniff, sniff) and Hannah and Joshua begin 11th and 2nd grades respectively at Trinity Academy of Raleigh. I try to give a gift to the teachers on the first day of school--something small, but useful in their classroom (or sometimes I just give chocolate!) I found some cute Sticky notes in the Target Dollar Spot a month ago and I picked them up for my "First day of school gift"---

I just measured the notes and made a trifold holder for it. (The Scor-pal made this sooooo simple.) This was so quick and easy---and this time of year, that's exactly what I need! I used redline tape to put the notes inside the folder.







I used the Tart and Tangy stamp set and Summer Fun Paper from SU's Spring 2008 flyer. I haven't used this set very often, but I thought the apples were too cute to pass up. I just colored the stamp with my SU markers, "huffed" on it, and stamped it on Stamper's Select White cardstock. I punched it out with the 1 3/8" circle punch, added an Old Olive 1 1/2" circle and then punched out a scallop in Real Red. I popped the image & circles up on dimensionals on the left side only, so it would stay put when the teacher/assistant teacher opens it.I used two pieces of the patterned paper---both with apples, to keep the theme alive. I tied it up with 5/8" grosgrain ribbon, added a tag from my Cuttlebug "free with purchase" set and stamped "For You" from PTI's set Boxes, Bags and Tags.

A few years ago, my oldest bought some candy and an Expo Dry Erase marker, bagged them up and gave them to her teachers for the first day of school (how cool is that High School teachers?!)---so, my younger daughter has continued that with her Upper School teachers---every teacher can use an extra Dry Erase marker!

We have a tradition at the Nelson house of baking Chocolate Chip Cookies and sitting around the table after the first day of school and telling all about our day---I'm looking forward to this sweet time with my two at home. I will miss that day when I can no longer do it---of course by the time Joshua graduates from Trinity, I may have grandbabies in school!!! ; }

Do you have a "first day of school" tradition? I'd love to hear about it~it's never too late for me to start another one!

Have a great day~
Kathleen

Stuff I used:
Stamps: Tart & Tangy (SU!), Boxes, Bags & Tags (PTI)
Paper: Real Red, Old Olive CS, Summer Fun Patterned Paper (SU!)
Ink: Real Red
Accessories: Dimensionals, 5/8" Red Grosgrain ribbon, 1 3/8", 1 1/2" Scalloped Circle punch, Sticky Tape (redline) (SU!), Sticky notes (Target),

4 comments:

specialcraftmom4 said...

What a great gift idea! I love the Target $1 spot too (:

Carolyn King said...

THAT IS AWESOME...i love it.

We do the same things---i bake cookies and after the kiddos get home we sit and talk about their day.

I bake while they are there (like the one time all year!) because i am so anxious about how thier day goes. lol! It does go too fast.

Juliana said...

This is the most adorble project!!!
I am book marking it to look again!

Hugs to you as your kids start another year!!

Debbie Olson said...

I *love* this project--clean, graphic, and FUN!