- He was born in NY in 1927---
- His Dad was a Longshoreman on Long Island
- He started working at the age of 7
- He went into the navy early so he could fight in the "big war"
- He was a corpsman and gave shots all day long----seriously, all day long
- He got married YOUNG and lost his pregnant wife and 2 children in a car wreck in Mississippi
- He met my mom while she was out shooting baskets on the New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary Campus
- He graduated from Mississippi College and NOBTS---a first in his family
- On their first date (to Tony's Pizza and Cafe du Monde) Mom ordered black coffee and dad was too proud to add his normal cream and sugar===he has had black coffee every since
- They were married 18 months later
- They had 3 beautiful girls (the youngest is their favorite---hee, hee!)
- He was a pastor for over 50 years
- While he pastored in MS, the KKK put out a hit on him because he stood up against the burning of "black" churches in their town (Meridian, MS) in 1968---they found out years later that he Grand Wizard of that county was the Chairman of the Deacons----gotta love that, huh?
- My family slept on the floor of their bedroom for over 80 days (I just thought it was a big party) and we were protected by the FBI
- Dad served in Austin, TX at the same church for over 34 years
- He as been married to his lovely bride for 51 years
- He is a very giving man---and boy, does he have stories to tell!
Happy Birthday Dad
I had a few other pictures, but Blogger wasn't cooperating---maybe later!