Saturday, November 10, 2012

{Thirty Days of Thanks~2012; Day 10}

Day 10 | Seasoned parenting...

Today I'm grateful I've parented for a while now. I will not give details---to avoid embarrassment to the child---BUT, this process is easier the third time around. Granted, doing it alone has its challenges, but my years as a mom and likely my years in the classroom help me be a better parent. I wish I had had this wisdom with my girls! (They probably do, too!!)

I couldn't help but think of this verse today as I had to dole out some discipline.
    Or do you presume on the riches of his kindness and forbearance and patience, not knowing that God's kindness is meant to lead you to repentance?
(Romans 2:4 ESV)
God's kindness is meant to lead you---ME---to repentance. If he is our Heavenly Father and therefore, our parenting example in many ways, shouldn't I lead like HE does?  I don't know about you, but when I'm in the middle of disciplining, my first thought isn't "kindness"--or forbearance or patience, for that matter. As the benevolent dictator of this home, too often I rule with a tone that isn't kind---BUT, I will tell you, the kindness comes out much more often that it used to. I think the tricky parenting years may still be in front of me as I "parent" grown children (whatever THAT means---still learning there!) and I cope with a teenaged boy----ewwwwwww! I'm thankful today that my Heavenly Father is still parenting me along the way---teaching me to be a better teacher to my son. And I'm SO thankful for some experience that make the journey a little easier--He knew I'd need that about this point in my life, too!

No comments: