Thursday, January 1, 2009

{My Word for 2009}


Last year about this time, I kept reading about people's "word" for the year---I wasn't sure what it was, but I was intrigued by the thought of choosing a word to help you define your goals for the year. Since that time, I've come across Ali Edward's blog and found that she's likely the "start" of the "one little word" trend---at least among the blogs I read.  Here's her post about her word this year.

So, for the last month I've been thinking about a word to describe what I'd like to accomplish this year. The word has been chosen and changed numerous times, but I've finally decided on one. I think it will help me remember what I'm doing this year, help focus me on the goals I have made for myself.

My word is CULTIVATE.
It means more than "grow"---it's the act of helping something grow---
Webster defines this as:
1: to prepare or prepare and use for the raising of crops ; also : to loosen or break up the soil about (growing plants)2 a: to foster the growth of <cultivate vegetables> b: culture 2a c: to improve by labor, care, or study : refine <cultivate the mind>3: further , encourage <cultivate the arts>4: to seek the society of : make friends with

Dictionary.com says this:1.   to prepare and work on (land) in order to raise crops; till.
2.to use a cultivator on.
3.to promote or improve the growth of (a plant, crop, etc.) by labor and attention.
4.to produce by culture: to cultivate a strain of bacteria.
5.to develop or improve by education or training; train; refine:to cultivate a singing voice.
6.to promote the growth or development of (an art, science, etc.); foster.
7.to devote oneself to (an art, science, etc.).
8.to seek to promote or foster (friendship, love, etc.).
9.to seek the acquaintance or friendship of (a person).

I really like the definition of "fostering" the growth of something---or "improving" the growth of something. I think this is what I need to do in every area of my life.
                        
In my relationship with the Lord--I need to  "improve by labor or attention" my spiritual growth

In my relationship with my family members--I need to improve by labor, care or attention---and loosen or break up the "soil" 

In my personal life, professional life, crafty life---you get the picture. In every area of my life I need to pay attention to the 'growth' around me. I need to make it better---and use the tools I've been given (or acquire some new ones) to help the growth continue and flourish.

Well, there's my word---I hope to keep it in mind this year to help me be all the Lord wants me to be---those of you who know me---keep me accountable. 
Do you have a word for the year? Share it with me!

Happy New Year~Kathleen

No comments: